Saturday, March 14, 2015

GERMAN TOYS




A friend is in Germany right now and I wish I could have gone with him. I yearn to see real traditional architecture, even if it exists mostly in out-of-the-way rural spots or in touristy pockets like the village above. A commenter has some interesting things to say about this. 


If I was there I'd hit the toy stores first. I want to see the latest designs in wooden blocks.


I also want to see the latest Lego designs. Lego's a Danish company but I'm told that German stores are full of Lego toys that you can't get in America.


Here's (above) a Lego train.


And here's (above) a prototype steampunk locomotive. The design doesn't work but I'm glad the company experiments like this.


 Here's a great wolf toy designed in the North European style for the Disney film, "Pinnochio." It's by Gustaf Tenggren who was a Swedish American steeped in the Old World sensibility.


 German traditional costumes are wonderful! Here's some Tyrolean costumes with the distinctive wide-brimmed Tyrolean hat.


Good Lord! Is it possible that cowboy hats of the American West originated in Germany or Austria?


 We all know that a lot of American Christmas traditions started in Germany, but it's less well known that the same goes for Halloween. When I was a kid the stores were full of German Halloween dye-cuts like the one above. Wow! High art for a price that kids could afford!

Here in California there are stores that sell Halloween items all year 'round. I wonder if that exists in Germany?


German design (above) still influences Halloween in the U.S.


Boy, that country loves its witches!


I wonder if posters of traditional architecture are for sale over there?


There must be lots of old photos that would make interesting posters.


Pictures like this Austrian interior (above) would make great posters, too. Does anybody sell posters like this?



2 comments:

Cóemgein in Colorado said...

"even if it exists mostly in touristy pockets like the village above"

Not entirely true,

a lot of old German cities (at least in the south) have laws about preserving the historical character of the city center regardless of tourism.

Lots of tiny rural villages that don't really see many tourists (if any) also retain lots of traditional architecture.

In Baden-Wurttemberg particularly, one is spoiled for selection. It's just the way it is in a region tripping over itself with history!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Coemgein: Thanks much for the comment! I modified the 'touristy pockets" remark a little and Baden-Wurttemberg is now on the top of my list of places to go in Germany.